This is going to be short and bittersweet.
What we can hope for:
- An end to patronage politics (for poor and middle class people, I mean. Ending it for rich people will probably take a whole while longer.)
- An end to Rahul Gandhi’s political ambitions.
- A more rational economic regime (which, yes, basically means more free markets).
- A government that functions without having to appease a million competing coalition interests, and therefore more efficiently.
- (ADDED) A Uniform Civil Code. I honestly have always thought this was a good idea! How did we live with this mess of religion-specific laws for so long? Implementation will be an issue, obviously.
What we shall pray against:
- (Even more) Second-class citizen status for Muslims (and also Christians, Sikhs, Jains, Parsis and all the rest; but at least they have not been targeted as much)
- Nuclear war with Pakistan
- Touch my beef and I will cut you.
What we shall be resigned to:
- An inescapable wave of chauvinistic triumphalism